Petition

Friday, May 15, 2015

Glory Days

Glory Days
By-Shea Clarke
11-01-2003



Back in the 80's Bruce Springsteen had a song out called "Glory Days", do you all remember it?
Here are a few of the lyrics...
"Think I'm going down to the well tonight
and I'm going to drink till I get my fill
And I hope when I get old I don't sit
around thinking about it but I probably will
Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture
a little of the glory of, but time slips away
and leaves you with nothing mister but
boring stories of glory days
Glory days well they'll pass you by
Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days, glory days"

I always liked the song, but when it came out in 1984, I was only 16 years old, and didn't really understand what it meant. Now, at (cough)36, I totally get it.

Tonight, I was watching the CBS sitcom, ”Still Standing," and it was about the characters, Bill and Judy, remembering their Glory Days.  The show depicts Bill and Judy as graduating in 1985, the same year I did. So, they are my age.
 Watching it tonight, laughing as Bill put a “Power Ballad" on the stereo, and watching him pl ay air guitar to "Here I Go Again" by Whitesnake, really hit home and brought back memories… killer concerts, being a size 3 and looking good… with cute clothes and big hair.
Brat Pack movies, Glam Rock, neon colored high-tops and the greatest TV sitcoms.
Dancing until 2 AM, cruising the Blvd...Ah, memories, the good the bad and the ugly. 
I think back and I can't say I regret anything....if I hadn't lived through each and every experience, I wouldn't be, the person I now am. Of course I do wish I had done some things differently.

But, sometimes, I do wish for a brief moment that I could go back to 18, a size 3, dancing all night to Bon Jovi or Poison at a club....just being young and wild.
But, then I go in and I check on my sleeping child,...I feel just like my sitcom characters, Bill and Judy, did at the end of tonight's episode... they decided that their "Glory Days" weren't really where they wanted to be now, and that you can't go back..... And even if you could, would you really want to?
NO!! But, still....a little jolt of the past ever now and then isn't bad...so, I’m going to say goodnight, put on "Sweet Child of Mine" by Guns and Roses and think back to what I was doing the first time I heard that song.

Not to try to recapture, but just to enjoy the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts and comments.
~Shea